Thanks to 20 EIU students and FMH volunteers who spent the morning cleaning the house, kitchen, and dishes, scraping the porches for painting, cleaning the yard, weeding the herb garden and around the house, and getting the site ready for school groups and summer.
Commodore Perry Davis Barn to become FMH Blacksmith Shop
The Commodore Perry Davis Barn is located 3.4 miles east of the Five Mile House on the Westfield Road. It was built in 1880 by Commodore Perry Davis and is a large "Tennessee livestock barn." The center and loft of the barn are designed for storing grain and hay for feeding livestock in the side wings of the barn.
The barn will be dismantled and re-constructed in a smaller but similar configuration at the Five Mile House. Some of the original features of the barn such as the corn crib and grain bin will be represented and interpretive displays will tell the story of C.P. Davis and the original barn. Cost estimates are currently being developed and a fund raising effort will begin later this spring.